Date & Duration : 2 Days
The purpose of this course is to give exposure of substation earthing system to all personnel working in the substation business unit of KEC. This course is useful to understand the importance of earthing systems for safety of personnel and design criterion specified in IEEE80 standard for design of earthing system of substation.
This course is also useful to have knowledge of acceptable values of earth resistance, purpose of system earthing and equipment grounding, construction of earth mat and earth pits, testing of soil resistivity, measurement of earth resistance and also methods to lower earth resistance.
On completion of the training, the participant will
- Understand purpose of providing earthing system in substation for system earthing and equipment grounding
- Know types of earthing system and permissible parameters of earthing system based on tolerable currents through human body in case of contact with live parts
- Be able to design substation earthing system
- Be able to prepare earth mat layout inclusive of fence earthing
- Be able to install substation earthing system as per design document
Who should Attend
Personnel working in all departments including Engineering, Projects, Design, Purchase, Quality, Human Resources, Accounts.
It is also useful for all departments’ new recruits / freshers.
- Basics of earthing and grounding
- Electrical shock hazard and permissible body currents and their duration
- Tolerable and attainable Step potential, touch potential, mesh voltages and Ground potential rise (GPR)
- Soil resistivity, methods to reduce soil resistivity and measurement of soil resistivity by testing method recommended by IEEE80
- Earth mat design as per IEEE80 for AIS and GIS
- Earth electrodes and their types, resistance of plate and pipe earth electrodes, maximum permissible value of earth resistance for substation earthing system
- Earth mat layout
- Methods adopted for substation Fence earthing
- Methods adopted to reduce earth resistance in case of high resistivity soils
- Measurement of earth resistance of earthing system by adopting methods recommended in IEEE 80