The objective of this programme is to provide the participants with information
needed to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair problems commonly found in Electrical
Drives beside thoroughly understand the concept of Electrical Drives. Practical hands-
on exercises will reinforce material presented in the training sessions. This
programme will impart information important to proper motor selection, operation and
Maintenance, Troubleshooting in detail.
1. Overview of Electrical Drives. Objective of the Programme.
2. Review of Basics of Electrical Engineering.
3. Concepts of AC /DC machines: Construction, Working, Characteristics.
a. Induction Motor: Starting, Speed Control & Torque
b. DC Motor
4. Basics of various loads and Applications.
5. Torque, Speed and Power. Review and understanding.
6. Basics of Power Electronics.
7. AC to DC Rectification action.
8. DC to AC Inverter
9. Dual Converter and Cycloconverter
10. Electrical drives (AC/DC)
a. Basics and review of Drives: Advantages and various parts.
b. Requirement of four quadrant operation of Drives.
c. Open and Closed loop control strategies.
Current Limit Control
Speed and torque Control
d. DC Drives – Introduction
e. Induction Motor Drive
i. Basics and review of three Phase Induction Motor
ii. Starting, Braking and Speed control Operation
iii. Stator voltage Control
iv. Variable frequency control
v. Voltage Source Inverter Control
vi. Cycloconverter Controlled AC Drives.
vii. V/f control
viii. Direct torque Control
ix. Vector Control
x. Flux Control methods.
xi. Smart Drives & Energy efficient drives.
xii. Soft Starting: ZCS & ZVS
xiii. Design of control Strategies: Various Comparator Circuits
xiv. Various Sensing strategies & Circuits: Sensors, CT, PT etc.
xv. Drive parameters: definitions and parameter setting.
1. Setting of Motor parameters; set points & parameters.
2. Setting of acceleration and deceleration parameter.
3. Inching & Jogging.
4. PLC controlled Drives
5. Communication and Interfacing.
6. Parameter copying & storage; Industry setting.
11. Installation and commissioning of Electrical Drives.
12. Common problems in Electrical Drives and Troubleshooting
a. Reflected wave phenomenon.
b. Surges and Transients.
13. Testing of Drives using various meters.
14. Maintenance of Electrical Drives.
15. Protection of Electrical Drives.
a. Solid State Fuse & Relay
b. Protection Strategies.
c. Effect on Motor Bearing
d. Harmonic & Its Effects
16. Harmonic Elimination Techniques
17. Various Other drives
All practicing Engineers, DET,GET, O&M professionals; others who willing to get knowledge regarding VFD/AFD.